Welcome!

"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons." -Galatians 4:4-5

Trying to understand life rightly through a Covenant lens.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Versus: Tents vs. Houses

2 Corinthians 5:1 "For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

Passing vs. Permanent. Fleeting vs. Forever. Limited vs. Lasting.

A good friend of mine came across this passage just a little while ago and showed me. She pointed out the usage of the words "tent" and "house." "Tent" is referring to our earthly bodies, while "house" is referring to our Heavenly bodies we will receive. That is a good way of putting it. I'm only passing through this campsite waiting for my call to move into my house. Until then, I've got some people all around me in this campsite that are going to stay in tents their whole lives, whether they know it or not. This may be a poor analogy but I'm the spokesperson for the ultimate Real estate agent. That analogy comes short of who God truly is, so I don't mean to take any glory away from Him but I thought it helps a little bit in understanding.

In the next verse, it says that "meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling..." This sums up the human spirit perfectly. Whether we know it our not, everybody knows that 1) there is God (Psalm 14:1) and 2) in some way, they were made for something bigger (hence, the need for religion). I've found that many times my spirit aches to be with Christ that I just want to cop out of this life and go on to glory.

But that's too easy. Christ didn't call us to a life of "easy." It is tough for me to say this because I'm dealing with an instance where I have to be patient and wait on Christ. I'm not one to wait. Like the rest of humanity, I want my reward right now. A lot of times, I selfishly say to God "I don't care, I just want it now." And something terrible happens: He gives it to me. It's not that He's giving it to me to spite me or that He's fed up with me, rather, it's so I can learn from my mistake and realize His sovereignty again. His discipline make the best lessons. Of course when I say "best", it's not always the most pleasurable. It is what is best for our relationship with Christ and it is often painful.

So realize that if you have Christ in your life, 1) realize that you are living in a tent right now so don't get comfy down here and 2) live in such a way as to show others that have something awaiting you. Don't get lazy. Show the love and joy that Christ has given you because if you're not joyful about all that Christ has given you, I would challenge you to take another look at your faith because it may not be there.

For the non-Christians, turn from your sin while there is still time. With all this craziness going on in the Middle-east, it's going to get ugly. I say this with a loving urgency to turn to Christ and leave your life of sin behind. You won't become perfect when you turn to Christ. That's not what it's about. But it means that you are no longer a slave to sin and you now have the opportunity to choose Christ as Lord of your life every day.

love,
-sam

No comments:

Post a Comment